Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Happy 3rd Birthday Shelby!


Happy 3rd Birthday Shelby! We had a pretty low key birthday party in the backyard this year with Grandma Donna, Grandpa Dennis, Kade, Jesalee, Jade, & Ty. Shelby loved it though and even let Jade open one of her presents. What a sweetie, huh? Of course she immediately grabbed it from her hands, but still I was impressed. She has just become the cutest 3 year old lately. She'll look at me with those big blue eyes and I just can't help but smile.


My Mom always made a big deal of our birthdays growing up. I loved that among my 10 siblings I still had one day that I got to pick dinner, a birthday cake, and presents. When Dana lived here next to me she got me started on these really cool cakes. So every birthday, as my gift to the kids, I let them surf the web, my birthday files, and books for the "perfect" cake. This year Shelby chose a purple horse. Isn't it adorable? Quinn baked the cake for me and I sat at the table making it look cool.


All our kids have wanted forever is bunk beds. Joaquin & I thought we were being so practical when we opted for "full" beds for each of the kids. We thought they would love the extra room especially as they grew. Nope. So after 10 years of Quinn begging, 8 years from Jessi, 4 years from Josh, and 3 years from Shelby we broke down and bought Shelby the biggest birthday present any of our kids have received, a bunk bed with a "full" on the bottom and a twin on top. The first night Josh, Jessi, & Shelby all crammed onto the top twin that is just inches from the attic ceiling. (Quinn insisted she was too old for that)


Can you guess what we were all saying, "Jade, don't blow. It's Shelby's birthday!"

5 comments:

Lane, Amanda, Jackson, and Andrew said...

Happy Birthday Shelby! I love the cake. You are too good!!

BSU fam said...

Happy Birthday a little late Miss Shelby! We got home late on Saturday and missed calling and singing. We hope you have a fabulous year! The Bullocks

Diana said...

you make the most amazing cakes, you have to feel me in on your secret mine always turn out rather ugly and I would never feel good about showing them to anyone.

Alanya/Ally said...

Happy Birthday, Shelby! I don't want you to think we forgot, I'm just terrible about calling. We love you and are so glad you're a part of our family!

Sarah, good job on the cake. What did you use for the hair and eyelashes? And thanks for posting about the reunion. I have a link to your blog from mine... I only got a few pics of our room and Sammy, Ashley, and Kelsie in chillin' in bed together. I hope you don't mind.

Unknown said...

Awesome cake! You are so amazing! And what a fun bunk bed. Happy Birthday Shelby!

We upgraded Brit to a full size bed when we moved here and she too doesn't like it. She has been begging for a twin bed for 3 years. What is it?