Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pregnancy Perks

Last week I taught a lesson to my Beehives about the importance of being positive.  I truly believes it makes for a happier life if you can just find the bright side to everything - and I mean everything.  So over the last 2 weeks I've been jotting down things I love about being pregnant.  Mostly because I'm 8 months pregnant, all my "big" clothes are tight, I can't bend over without a contraction, my legs hurt . . .  sorry, there I go again.  Anyway, I needed to remind myself there are good things and also because it's been a long pregnancy with more tears than I'd like to admit.  So here it goes,
Sarah's Top Ten Reasons I Love Being Pregnant:
  1. No Acne.  That might not be an issue for some, but I have had acne since the age 14.  The only time I have beautiful skin is while I'm pregnant.  I haven't popped a zit in months and it's been heaven!
  2. Being able to say "No" without an ounce of guilt.  I have always been a pleaser and use to say yes to everything.  I still laugh when I think back to a conversation I had with my sister-in-laws a few years ago when they tried to get me to say no.  At the time I had been diagnosed with "Grave's Disease" which sounds horrible but really is just an overactive thyroid.  Mindi, laughing almost through tears kept demanding, "Say it with me Sarah:  NO, I have a disease, NO, I have a disease."  She & Kristin supposedly have no trouble saying no - uh huh.  What can I say, they're lovable hypocrites.
  3. Wearing stretchy pants all day.  Granted this month the stretch is pretty much gone, but for 5 blissful months I haven't had to suck in once.  
  4. Absolutely no desire to shop for clothes.  I don't know if it's just me but when I'm not pregnant I'm always looking for a great deal.  I love clearance racks (which Joaquin is hoping to break me of someday).  I walk through shops and feel like I need to find cheap clothes that I won't feel guilty for buying but that look better than my old stuff.  When I'm pregnant though - I know everything looks better than what I'm wearing and honestly don't care.  Yahoo.
  5. Warm feet.  Every night I used to snuggle up to Joaquin and put my icy feet onto his warm ones.  Not any more.  I'm sure a lot of my new found warmth is because I have to wear these lovely compression hose all day, but I love crawling into bed at night already toasty.  Now it's Joaquin who snuggles up to me.
  6. Having a Goal.  I know that might sound cheezy but it's true.  When I trained for the marathon I loved having something to work towards and plan for.  Well this pregnancy is by far harder than the marathon and it has even better rewards.
  7. Feeling movement.  This is my 5th child and I am still in awe every time she moves.  Sometimes it really isn't pleasant but it always reassures me that she's alive and well in there.
  8. When she gets the hick ups.  I love the hick ups!  Last Sunday I had one of those "aha" moments you store away in your heart forever.  She got the hick ups and every one of my children was able to put their hand on my belly and feel her move.  I looked up at Joaquin on the stand and just grinned like an idiot.
  9. How excited my other children are.  I don't think there is a single toy I could buy them that would make them smile more than when we announced they were going to get another sibling.  Every time Shelby prays she first thanks Heavenly Father for her new little sister.  She can't wait not to be the baby any more.  Quinn & Jessi still fight over who gets to hold her first and Josh is looking for a new wrestling buddy.
  10. And the last reason I love being pregnant is . . . Joaquin takes special care of me.  I love being a strong, independent woman, but when I'm pregnant I also love letting that all go and just being whimpy.  He helps with laundry, straightens up the house when I'm gone, lifts everything heavy, gets the kids to help more, rubs my feet, encourages me to lay down for a while, asks me how I'm feeling, and my favorite - he prays for me and our baby every single time I hear him pray.  I truly am grateful for this opportunity to see his gentle side and think I'm going to ease up on the whole "anything you can do, I can do better" theory.  I'm kind of liking being treated like a girl.

5 comments:

Gwen said...

I love your list of pregnancy perks! I can totally relate to #10. It seems like Greg is always a little more compassionate when I'm pregnant and I too find myself asking him to do thing when I'm pregnant that I wouldn't bat and eye at doing when I'm not. Mostly just because I can ;)
Way to look at the bright side of things. We are looking forward to meeting the newest little Smith soon. (p.s. carlson WILL induce you ;)

Brandon and Brittany said...

Great list! Love you Sarah.

Favorite Aunt said...

Your so CHEEESSSYYY. I guess though it is because you have a disease. Now you can say NO because you have 5 KIDS!!! I loved the list. Mindi

Unknown said...

I love your list! And #10 brought tears to my eyes - it is great when our big, strong men show so much compassion. Hope everything continues to go well!

Brian Adair Fam said...

What a great outlook on pregnancy! You are such a positive person...I've always admired that in you. Thank you for sharing! :0)